Making the most of what one has often requires optimistic eyes. Welcome to Rose Colored Glasses, a blog all about realizing the beauty, and often hidden potential in creating home design on a budget.


Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Dining Table Revamp!

This is a picture of my $30.00 dining table I purchased at the local D.I. (thriftstore) about 2 years ago. At the time we needed a table and this was solid, sturdy, had clean lines, and most importantly cheap! After purchasing it I sanded the top surface and painted it in a high gloss black paint from Ace using a roller (suggested by the paint guy at Ace Hardware) and followed two coats up with two or three coats of polyurethane. I left the legs untouched because I was lazy, and our chairs at the time matched better that way. I never loved the bumpy texture the "smooth" roller gave me though...just a personal preference thing I guess. This shot below was taken just after I began sanding the old paint and poly off. Fast forward to a couple months ago when I purchased these chairs from Craigslist ($30 for 6 of them) and painted them adding new fabric to the seat cushions.
This week I finally painted the table to match. I sanded the top down again, then the sides and legs. I primed them and this time used Krylon black spray paint in the satin finish (the same stuff I used on the chairs). I ended up using about 2.5 cans. Then I used the Ace Hardware brand of spray polyurethane. At first all I could see were the imperfections of the spray paint/poly but now that it has dried all the way I think it looks so much better. I still think I'll add more polyurethane in a couple days to the top but otherwise I am calling it good :)

I'm linking this post up to a few of my favorite linky parties this week starting with DIY day, Saturday Nite Special, Frugalicious Friday, and Furniture Feature Friday.

11 comments:

Adele said...

It looks great... So do you recommend using Krylon spray paint instead of painting things by hand? I'm refinishing a chair right now that has a lot of little edges, cracks, etc and its really hard to paint by hand... I guess spray paint would probably work better... I'll have to give that a try!

Ericka said...

It's totally a personal choice...obviously paint in a can goes alot further but if you don't want brush strokes or are short on time spray paint is the only way to go! Can't wait to see what your chair looks like when you are all done Adele!

Lu said...

love it er:]

Megan Gunyan said...

great job! It looks wonderful. I'm trying to get geared up to paint a chair of mine. I think I have some inspiration! Have a great weekend!

Jen T said...

LOVE IT and your seat cushions are perfect!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

So great that you were able to reinvent this table yet again! I love your chairs and the fabric you chose for the seats!

Laura said...

You did a great job! Now you have a totally cute matching set. I've had bad luck spray painting chairs, so I am all in awe of you! You did such a good job...

Katie Olthoff said...

That is gorgeous! Great job!

Lori said...

WOW!! The table and chairs look so wonderful! You did a fabulous job!!

Katie said...

Huge improvement since the last revamp! Love it~

Jane B. said...

I love painting things black...so much fun! Your table looks fabulous! Thanks for being the first to link up to Frugalicious Friday!

Jane @ Finding Fabulous