Making the most of what one has often requires optimistic eyes. Welcome to Rose Colored Glasses, a blog all about realizing the beauty, and often hidden potential in creating home design on a budget.


Saturday, March 20, 2010

Progress!

This morning I stepped out onto my patio to this view below. This little barn has hardly been used except when I need to spray paint something. The truth is it is a great little workshop complete with working electricity that we have hardly used. Notice the clothesline? That also has hardly been used and that's why I decided some changes needed to be made :)...today! I feel like the luckiest woman alive today because I was able to get this much done with two little boys and without a husband (he was coaching baseball all day). How? My wonderful friend and babysitter Abby simply showed up at my door ready and willing to help out. She had heard that I was planning on painting the "barn" and came to my rescue (or my kids)! Ahhh, I love her (and her family)! Casen (my youngest) ended up taking a 3 hour nap! Also another friend was in need of a clothesline and sent her sons to come take it off my hands which turned out to be no small feat. It had over 4 feet of concrete underneath on each end! Good thing there were three of them! Anyway, I ended up transfering some of the yellow tulips that we had to dig up to take the clothesline out into the window box...hope I didn't kill them all in the process, I guess we'll find out soon enough!
It's far from what I would call complete (aren't all my projects). I am thinking some shutters framing the window could add some additional charm as well as a bench. I really need to find the motivation to clean the inside! Oh, and you might notice something white in the bottom left corner of the barn...they are my little guys' hand prints with their accompanying names and year. If you click on the photo you can see them better :) Hope you like...I sure do!
I'm linking this up to Donna's Saturday Nite Special party, Metamorphosis Monday, and The Power of Paint party at Domestically Speaking, and the DIY day at A Soft Place to Land.
UPDATE: Since I posted this I found a pair of cute black vinyl window shutters (brand new) at a local thrift for $6.00! Can't wait to get 'em up and show you the results in a couple weeks when the yellow tulips are in bloom!

11 comments:

Kristi Thompson said...

Love the red!! :)

Ashley Wray said...

Oh my goodness, I'm an dying over this! So completly adorable, and love your picnik editing :) You did great, so glad you had some much needed help to get the project done!

Kendra@Creative Ambitions said...

Looks great Erika!!

Lu said...

Wow! So cute! I forgot that thing has electricity too! You could totally turn that into a cute little boys clubhouse too-who needs a tree house when you've got your own little barn! Send some of your motivation my way will ya? Not so productive these days:]

Unknown said...

That is a lovely little barn, and the red is so cute. Lucky you to have it!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Well,
I have to say you did pretty well for the day... with all that work to be done. Just removing the clothes line was a feat in itself. (i'll try not to chide you for getting rid of them) I love my clothesline and can't wait for weather conditions to improve enough to use them.
I love the color of your barn!
Our little barn is green and I'd love for it to be red...like our big one.
Hmmm... maybe that's a project that will get done this year too!
The list is growing.

Good job!

Adele said...

Holy cute! You amaze me at how much you get done in a single day. Where do you get your motivation and energy? Just thinking about all you do wears me out!

Jill said...

I love it. I'm amazed you did it by yourself. You should work for HGTV. :)

Unknown said...

It looks fantastic!
~rebekah

junkermidge said...

You little barn is adorable. I love the new red color. You did a great job!
Midge

Treasia Stepp said...

The "barn" looks fabulous. What a difference the red paint made to it. I love how you've used your childrens handprints on this as well.