Making the most of what one has often requires optimistic eyes. Welcome to Rose Colored Glasses, a blog all about realizing the beauty, and often hidden potential in creating home design on a budget.


Friday, June 8, 2012

Vanity turned Window Seat!

Thanks to my good friend Alyssa, I scored this vanity at a yard sale for a whopping $15 last week!  The mirror was broken and the rest of it needed some love as well.
 Using my own chalk paint mixture (adding non-sanded grout and water to paint) I painted it a soft ivory like color and distressed the edges for some shabbiness.  Then the hardware got a coat of flat black spray paint and I threw on my old burlap pillow/cushion.  What once was a vanity is now an adorable seat with storage.  This would be sooooo cute under a window with some books stacked on either side, would it not?  Problem is...I don't have a window for this to go under so I may end up selling it, if I can bring myself to part with it, that is :)
 Here's a closeup of some of the distress marks.
 Then the cushion on top.
And that's it folks!  I still need to rub the wax on over the top but that won't take long.  Oh and don't worry about the piece that once held the mirror...I have BIG plans for that in the near future as well :).
I am linking this post up to these parties at these blogs this week: www.domestically-speaking.com ,www.findingfabulousblog.com and www.funkyjunkinteriors.net

10 comments:

Janae said...

I love this idea. I also didn't know there was a way to mix your own chalk paint. Thanks for sharing!

Dee said...

This turned out so Coool! Nice job, Dee from My Painted Stuff

Unknown said...

What a great idea! Great job!

FreddyandPetunia.wordpress.com said...

What a great job! It looks fAbulous! That's one of the most creative uses of a waterfall vanity I've eVer seen!
Catherine

Ann said...

One of the most clever ideas I've seen. This WOULD be great under a window. If I were you, I wouldn't be able to part with it, either.

JoAnn SweetPepperRose said...

SWEET idea! also looks like an updated version of a phone table, with compartments for everything you need :)
JoAnn

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

Amazing change up! This came out fantastic!!!

Shelly @Crafty Creative Studio said...

Fantastic!! I can absolutely see this in my home! So eye catching. :)

Unknown said...

I have this same piece that we drug out of the garbage and had the same idea. Looks great thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I have this same piece that we drug out of the garbage and had the same idea. Looks great thanks for sharing.