Making the most of what one has often requires optimistic eyes. Welcome to Rose Colored Glasses, a blog all about realizing the beauty, and often hidden potential in creating home design on a budget.


Monday, May 28, 2012

Flower Power!

Many of you have probably seen the cinderblock planters recently.  They seem to be everywhere I look: pinterest, www.designsponge.com, or www.apartmenttherapy.com. to name a few.  Because I had 20 or so cinderblocks just sitting in the wood shed serving no purpose I liked the idea of how easy this project would be not to mention affordable and interesting all at the same time.  There is a far wall in our backyard near a concrete basketball pad that has bothered me since we bought the house.  It just looks drab and empty, particularly compared to the other side of the yard so this project was perfect for this spot.
 Instead of planting herbs, like so many others are doing with these planters, I opted for more flowers instead because I am all about the color...it's almost summer afterall!  I can't wait until these petunias and other assorted flowers start to grow bigger and cascade down and around the blocks.  Oh, and the painted numbers...well, we try not to take ourselves too seriously around here, especially when it comes to the backyard so I painted the numbers for some added fun and hey as a bonus my three year old will get better at recognizing numbers this summer (at least 1-15, anyway ;)!