Making the most of what one has often requires optimistic eyes. Welcome to Rose Colored Glasses, a blog all about realizing the beauty, and often hidden potential in creating home design on a budget.


Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Free Dresser Turned Media Cabinet

I was lucky enough to get this old dresser FREE a couple of weeks ago.  The woman who gave it to me bought it to fix up and never got around to it...boy do I know that feeling!  Anyhow, I was more than willing to take it off of her hands since I needed something bigger to put our flat screen on downstairs.  Even though it was missing a drawer, some hardware, and needed some major TLC, I saw it as having great potential.  Here's what I did...
 I demoed much of the inside, making it possible for a cabinet below for blanket storage...it seems our basement is always so cold no matter what season it is!  Then I cut and measured a board for the top to fit nicely for the electronic storage. If you look closely you'll see that the shelf needs some more painting but at 2 a.m. this morning I quit there :) Then I added old cabinet doors I cut down and pieced to fit. as well as hardware.  I also painted the inside a soft muddied blue.  I plan on adding some handpainting here but can't decide what I want to do just yet...it feels like such a big commitment, any suggestions are welcome! 
So as you can see I am not quite finished yet but getting closer!  A big thanks to Tanya for giving me this dresser, someday I'll show you all my before and afters of my basement makeover, it's been a slow transformation coming but I am almost there!

5 comments:

Jon Woodins said...

what if you did the comedy/tragedy masks? one on each door. fitting for an entertainment center.

Jon Woodins said...

What if you did the comedy/tragedy masks? one on each of the doors? could be fun for an entertainment center.

The Hermyzoo! said...

This is freakin AMAZING!!! I wish I had your brilliant talent and vision. I am in awe of how of your skills. I seriously need to learn from you :p
way to go.... this is amazing.

The Hermyzoo! said...

This is freakin AMAZING!!! I wish I had your brilliant talent and vision. I am in awe of how of your skills. I seriously need to learn from you :p
way to go.... this is amazing.

Creative Raisins said...

I love a repurposed piece it looks great.