Making the most of what one has often requires optimistic eyes. Welcome to Rose Colored Glasses, a blog all about realizing the beauty, and often hidden potential in creating home design on a budget.


Thursday, December 24, 2009

Low Cost Train Table.

When my four year old son asked for a train table this Christmas I thought surely I could find a suitable set for an affordable cost even if I had to buy a plastic one from Walmart. Then, I began shopping and let's just say I had no idea the cost of a train table these days! So, you guessed it...I decided to make one.
Here's where it all began...a $6.00 thrift store end table! I painted it black (paint I already had) and cut the legs and castors off to lower the heighth. Then (with my dads help) I took an old used round table with a laminate top on it (great for cleaning) and cut it into a square. My dad then cut trim to fit and nailed it in. Then I began to work out a layout for the track using existing pieces I had at home and some my dad picked up at a thrift store for $3.00. Once I had the layout arranged where I wanted it we (my dad and I) mounted the table top to the end table with screws.
Here is the finished product. I painted all the tracks and some of the pieces black as well because I didn't love how the wood looked against the tan laminate and I felt a colored track might be too busy (even for my little boys). Then I painted the trim a bright blue and glued (epoxy) it all in place...I know that most train tables come with tracks unattached but I didn't want to be picking up pieces all of the time and since this gift was for a 1 year old and a four year old to use together I thought it would be best to keep it all in one place.

Notice the built in drawer for added storage. I took the old hardware off and tied a red rope at both ends for easy accessability.

Well, that's it. Not fancy, I know but I think my boys will just love playing with this table and track set. Can't wait to see their faces in the morning! Oh, I almost forgot...total cost for this project was $30.00! Can't beat that :)!

4 comments:

Lu said...

Er it turned out so cute! Can't wait to hear how much the boys love it! Hope your Christmas was great!

Tracy Wills said...

That is too cute, I bet they loved it. Great job!

Charity said...

great use, I think I have that same end table.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Totally totally totally cool! My son had a ton of Thomas trains and they were all over the place! Mind you, half the fun was trying different track varations but that's ok because that mattered to ME, not him. LOL!!

Your idea.. my goodness, you've saved yourself countless hours locating everything again. LOVE this!

Thanks for linking up!

FJ Donna