Making the most of what one has often requires optimistic eyes. Welcome to Rose Colored Glasses, a blog all about realizing the beauty, and often hidden potential in creating home design on a budget.


Monday, January 4, 2010

My new little table...

I saw this cute little table at the thrift store last weekend and had to snatch it up (the $5.00 price tag(s) didn't hurt either...looks like someone got a little carried away with the price sticker gun :). When I got home my head began to fill with all sorts of ideas of different ways I could give this table a little love and a fresh new look to it's current state. Of course a little girls bedroom came to mind (too bad I don't have any girls!) , and then my sister suggested gilding it which I also loved, or painting it off white and putting a huge black vinyl monogram on it (sort of French like). ooh then chalkboard paint came to mind...but alas I decided to do this instead... First I lightly sanded over all the edges and spindle (no primer here since it was pretty scratched up to begin with). You'll see why I skipped sanding over the main surface area in a moment. Then I applied my dark gray/blackish paint with a brush and let dry.
I picked up some fabulous scrap book paper (vintage looking) and mod podged it onto the top and the bottom coating the underneath as well as the top of the paper. I used about one and a half pieces of the paper ($1.00)
Here's a closer look at the print on the paper...lovely.

And a closer look at the bottom. I forgot to mention that afterwards I sanded over the edges and in a few other places to give it a more shabby look. Then followed up with a thin coat of polyurethane to seal the deal.


Now...where to put it! I think I'll save this one for that guest bedroom I have been dreaming up in my mind for some time now :)

10 comments:

Naomi said...

Too too cute! Please come visit me and makeover my house! ;-)

Adele said...

Holy cuteness... Alright, that's it. When I get back, we're going thrift store shopping! I can never see the beauty in stuff!!!

Ashley Wray said...

Love it! Seriously, darling, I wish I had just an ounce of your creativeness! We need to do another thrift store Saturday soon!

Amanda Lee said...

This table turned out really cute. So creative!

René said...

So cute. Thanks for inspiring me to try this.

Recaptured Charm said...

Little tables are so fun to do, because you can be more creative. Love the finish for this little one. Great paper choice!
Lisa

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

I agree with Lisa - smaller pieces like this really allow for your creativity to run wild. Great job on this adorable little table :)

Christina said...

Cute! Love it those small tables are great finds!

Kate @ The Gaines Gang said...

Too cute! I have to teach myself how to use the paper like that. Thanks for the inspiration!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

So cute and creative. I lik ehow you positioned the paper and the design you chose. Nice job and very thrifty!