Making the most of what one has often requires optimistic eyes. Welcome to Rose Colored Glasses, a blog all about realizing the beauty, and often hidden potential in creating home design on a budget.


Saturday, May 7, 2011

MOD bench and a WINNER!

I am excited to tell you about the bench below, but...


first let me announce the WINNER of Summers Chocolate Giveaway: #6, J and A ! Congratulations! Please email me at lemonsqueezing@gmail.com with your address so I can send your free hair accessories! Now for the rest of you, better luck next time. Below is a corner dining bench I found locally on Craigslist last week. It worked well as a dining corner unit, just needed some love, right? Then I got looking at it and decided it would serve more functions as two separate pieces. More pieces, more love!? So I took it apart and filled in all the nail holes (there were alot). Here is the long bench, which I may have already found a home for, we'll see :)



And here is the smaller one in my kitchen currently drying. I found the paint on the "oops" shelf at Lowes last week for $5! It's Valspar in a satin finish. Love it! I thought I would have a little fun while editing to show you some ideas of things you could do to make it more unique and suited for the purpose you have in mind. This would make a great entry way bench if you don't have a lot of space to work with. Did I mention the seat lifts up for storage?



Or this could work well on a covered porch with your house numbers displayed and a cute pot of flowers or bright turqoise cushion, hee hee.



Or you could still use it as a dining bench and play it up a bit with some whimsy fonts with the word "Eat" or "Dine" on the back. Vinyl would work great for all of these options but if you wanted to save some money and paint them yourself you could always use stencils.



There are so many more things you could do to this bench, it would look great at the foot of a Twin bed with hot pink or orange color accents and if the color is too bright for your liking a simple glaze in a dark brown or tobacco would mute it easily. I am asking $55 for it. Email me at lemonsqueezing@gmail if you are interested. Thanks, I hope you all have a fabulous mothers day weekend! I'm linking this post up to the SNS party over at http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/ tonight! Then check out this linky party on Tuesday at domestically-speaking.blogspot.com


2 comments:

J and A said...

Whoo hoo! Thanks! :) LOVE her stuff. Great project!

Lu said...

love the bench er. i think you could totally use some foam or filler and cover it with some gorgeous fabric on the back of the bench and just follow the little indented part and tack with some cute decorative upholstery nails for the border too. did that make sense? kinda hard to explain what is inside of my brain :]