Making the most of what one has often requires optimistic eyes. Welcome to Rose Colored Glasses, a blog all about realizing the beauty, and often hidden potential in creating home design on a budget.


Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Painted dresser for my four year old.

This dresser was my husbands growing up and when our oldest child turned 2 it became his. At that time I painted the old worn wood a dark brown. I bought some wooden knobs from JoAnns to use as drawer pulls but never liked the way they looked so I didn't even finish painting them much less putting them on. Today I was sorting through drawers boxing up the clothes that no longer fit him when I decided enough was enough. I was sick of hiding the ugly thing in the closet. It was time for a facelift. I taped off the top drawer in random sections using different widths and painted some orange and tan stripes (leftover paint I had on hand). After I finished the top drawer I wasn't crazy about stripes all the way down each drawer...I thought it would be too busy so I taped off the inner area of the drawers and painted them tan. Boring, right? Just wait. Here's a shot of the process below.
After the paint had dried I decided to paint a number on each drawer. I have seen this everywhere lately and although I have been known to pride myself in not following trends I really like this one and wanted it for my sons bedroom so I gave in. I free handed each number with a pencil and then using a small paint brush filled in with the orange paint. I know a stencil would have been neater but I actually like the imperfections from free handing it. Now I can proudly say that it is no longer hiding in the closet. I also did some distressing around the edges afterwards. As you can see, I still need to pick up some hardware...I am thinking some round rubbed bronze knobs would look good. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

I'm linking up to the "Power of Paint" party at http://domestically-speaking.blogspot.com/ , "Frugalicious Friday" at http://decormamma.blogspot.com/, "Furniture Feature Friday" at http://missmustardseed.blogspot.com/, http://creationsbykara.blogspot.com/ and "Saturday Nite Special" at http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/
If you need some inspiration I highly suggest checking these sights out!
Until next time :),

19 comments:

Jamie Page said...

LOVE it!

Lu said...

I love it too! And that will come in handy w/that little guy when he needs to remember what # drawer socks go in!

Angela said...

The numbers are such a great idea!! We finally finished Bailey's dresser! Thanks for the inspiration! =)

Dreams of Perfection said...

This is so chic and posh totish! Love it!!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

It's adorable! I love the numbers!!

Vanessa said...

I love that you went for something a little different than just a solid coat of paint! Looks great!

Denise said...

I love it! I don't keep up on the trends and it shows, but I really like this one. I also love what you did at your sisters house.

Megan Gunyan said...

This is great for your child's room! I love it and will have to copy it soon! Great job!

Design Esquire said...

It looks fantastic! The numbers are perfect.

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

What a fun dresser now! Thanks for sharing it at the POPP!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

awww, super job! It looks great.
gail

Marianne said...

Cute makeover! Love the added touches and the color combo! Your kiddie must be so happy with this and proud of his momma.

Kirsty said...

ooohhh, I love that! Great job. Numbers on things for little ones are so fun! Heck, numbers for me are fun!

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Very fun. I like the numbered drawers. I love to work with painted furniture so I am always looking for new ideas.

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Wow! You gave that dresser some personality! The numbers are such fun!

Kelly @ Make It Sparkly Mama said...

Wow, that is fabulous looking! So fun and yet classic! Great job!

Jill said...

are you serious! I LOVE IT!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

What a cute paint job! Perfect for a toddler.

Anonymous said...

Love it! Can't believe you free handed the numbers. Nicely done!