Making the most of what one has often requires optimistic eyes. Welcome to Rose Colored Glasses, a blog all about realizing the beauty, and often hidden potential in creating home design on a budget.


Monday, February 15, 2010

Weekend reveal (part 1)

Last weekend was great at my sisters! We literally worked night and day to get the livingroom revamped and I am so happy with the results! I decided to post this in two segments since there are so many little things we did working on a budget of roughly $160.00! Pictured below is one of the "before" shots my sister took for me. Yet another chair makeover. You may remember that I had two left unfinished from my dining set. I painted it white and distressed the edges for a shabby look, then replaced the cushion with some new blue fabric to coincide with the new blue wall paint. I think they look great together.
Here's what we did to dress up the piano area. First I added the newly painted lamps and candle holders, then replaced the old doile with a piece of burlap to sit underneath the glass lantern filled with potpurri. The vase was something my sisters husband made back in high school and I thought it added just the right amount of interest and scale I was looking for. The painting behind was something my sister-in-laws mother had done and the rich and warm brown tones within the painting also suited the space perfectly.

A shot from the side. Have I mentioned that my sister is an amazing pianist? I am hoping this will encourage even more music in her home.


This is a "before" shot of the wall just off the front door entry.

I wanted to keep her family photos here but kick things up a bit, so I taped off this design to use as framework for a collage.

Then we added the dark brown accent color to the wall and filled it with white painted frames...some for photos and others for mirrors. I love how this looks and can't wait to see it complete with photos inside, very chic don't you think? Everything you see came from the thriftstore here.

Like I said before we had a great time and thanks to my sisters being the hardest workers I know we got alot done! Check back here for part 2 of the weekend reveal later this week.

4 comments:

Ashley Wray said...

Ericka, you amaze me! It looks amazing, I love the brown paint with the frame wall and the outline. Can't wait to see the rest!

Adele said...

WOW!! I love the dark wall/frame idea! Beautiful!

Lu said...

hey you! hopefully you are all catching up on some much missed sleep now. Looks fantastic! Looking forward to seeing more!

Naomi said...

Ericka it's amazing as usual! I don't see how your sister wouldn't be inspired to play the piano more from your face-lift of the space and I am a huge fan of the frame idea as well. I need you to post the rest of the reveal so that my husband can see that family pics can look good in collages/different frames etc. :-)