Making the most of what one has often requires optimistic eyes. Welcome to Rose Colored Glasses, a blog all about realizing the beauty, and often hidden potential in creating home design on a budget.


Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sister Painting Party!

I have three sisters who are each a huge blessing in my life. There's just something so special about the bond between a sister! Well, unfortunately none of us live very close to each other and as a result don't get to see each other as often as we would like. This weekend, however, my youngest sister and I are going to meet up and drive together to my older sisters house (about 6 hours away) and do what I love most...decorate! I am so excited to spend time with my sisters. My husband is so incredibly supportive (of everything I do really) and is keeping the baby all weekend while I take our 4 year old.(did I mention this weekend is Valentines Day)! I know, I am so lucky! So...we are going to be having a painting party...you know walls, furniture, and of course accessories all for her livingroom. And of course we are on a VERY TIGHT budget so I am trying to get some things done ahead of time and thought I would post these lamps I just finished painting tonight. I bought them for $3.00 each at a thrift store several months ago and put them away in the basement for someday in the future when I would need them, glad I did! First, I gave them two coats of dark brown spray paint.
Then, I painted over the lines using a small paint brush in white. After that I filled the petals with a light smoky blue color (bummer, the pictures don't show the colors very well) that is similar to the color we will be painting the walls. For the final step I added some shadowing in a darker blue and some highlights in white. I need to pick up some shades so when I get those I will post a true "after" shot (preferrably in the daylight) with some of the other accessories I am prepping for the big weekend so check back here later in the week to see more painted accessories!

(click on photo to enlarge)

3 comments:

Adele said...

Holy cuteness!!

Lu said...

i want to come:( send my love to katie and jules. can't wait to see what you do!

Amanda said...

If only you were my sister as well and could decorate my house.......:)