Making the most of what one has often requires optimistic eyes. Welcome to Rose Colored Glasses, a blog all about realizing the beauty, and often hidden potential in creating home design on a budget.


Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I'm addicted!

Hi, my name is Ericka and I am addicted to thrift stores. There, I said it, ahh that feels better :).
Okay, so I found this gun cabinet last week at one of my favorite thriftstores for $15.00 and although my husband and I both are gun owners I didn't exactly have that in mind when I made this purchase. So, here's the "before" shot I took when my husband brought it home (shaking his head of course as to what I had brewing up in my crazy mind this time). Because of the cottagy (is that a word?) cornice on top I thought an antique blue/green color would suit it (and my kitchen) nicely...

but first I had to put some work into it. I started by ripping out the shelf inside that was used to help stablize the rifles. Then I beefed up the seat a bit by covering the whole bottom with new boards on top and some trim around the front. It was around that time that I started really thinking about different options for a seat cushion. I really didn't want to spend any more money so I pulled out my old feather pillow from the back of the linen closet and voila, it fit perfectly! Oh yeah, and then of course I sanded and primed (my least favorite part).


Here it is now. I think it needs some kind of hardware up on top to balance things a bit more and I have something in mind just haven't got it yet. This is now a perfect place when we come in the door to put our coats, bags, and shoes. Much better than on the counter and around the room. We have a fairly roomy coat closet but the problem is it is right off the front door entry and we rarely use our front door...basically it gets used when I clean up the mess :) I'm hoping this new piece will help reduce that clean up!

The cushion: I printed out a C in a font I found in Microsoft Word and then freehanded it on cardboard to the size I wanted to use as my stencil. I'm sure there is an easier way to do this but this was my first time attempting it and that's what I came up with. After the paint was all dry I simply sewed two identical sized pieces of burlap together. Oops, still need to paint those legs :)

Love the tiny cubbys for my little ones shoes (or boots)! Total cost for this project was $33.00! This included the cabinet, hardware (hooks), burlap, and paint (everything else I needed I had on hand).
I'm linking this post up to all these great DIY parties this week! Check them out!

34 comments:

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

that turned out so cute! You did a great job. Thrift stores can be very addicting... just talking about it makes me want to so right now!
gail

It's Always Something Around Here said...

I love it! You did a fantastic job transforming it to something fabulous. I am a new thrift store addict myself. I have a coffee table I just came from putting a coat of primer on this evening.

Lu said...

turned out great Er. Gotta love something that is cheap, cute and functional!

Denise said...

That is amazing! I love the finished product and the color is very appealing. I'd like to go shopping with your brain and so when I see something I can see the potential in the thrift store items!

Kathryn said...

i love it! i have a gun cabinet with no guns in it! i can't wait to show my hubby this when he gets home! i totally want to do it! thank you for sharing!

Ashley Wray said...

Ericka, I'm so impressed, especially since you did this all since Monday afternoon! I love the blue, and the pillow and everything else about it. I'm totally keeping an eye out for gun cabinets from now on!!!

Adele said...

lol- I'm glad you can admit it... I'd love to have your addition, seriously! I never would have thought a gun cabinet could look this cute! That is awesome! You are so productive!

So Sunny Day said...

You are so inventive! I absolutely love this remake. And I am totally with you -I am addicted to the thrift store too. Let's start a support group ok? We can meet after hours in the thrift store parking lot :)

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

That is so cute! I would have snapped that up too. I love the size of it. And the detail at the top is adorable. I love the color you painted it. Amazing!

XOXO
Jen

Kathryn said...

he totally shot down my idea! LOL. he said he loves it, but would rather find one at a thrift instead of messing with the one we have that's still fairly new. now i'm on a mission! ;)

Jamie Page said...

I don't know where you find the time with two boys! It looks awesome.

Unknown said...

Wow that turned out wonderful!!What vision you have!! Great job!!

Ericka said...

Jamie-there is NEVER enough time with two boys to get anything done! This week I have gone to bed before midnight once ;)...yes, I am always sleep deprived when I am working on something.

Naomi said...

Okay thank you for specifying when you work on your amazing projects...I was wondering how you get things done with two little ones. You are my inspiration Ericka.

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

What a great use for that piece... it looks fantastic! I love the cubby on the bottom... perfect!

Crafty Sisters said...

You would never believe it, but I picked up a gun cabinet last week from a thrift store! I have seen one turned into a bookcase and it was really cool!

Yours looks so good, I love the scrolly work at the top and the fact that you used it as an entryway piece. Good job!

2sisters said...

Okay, that is awesome! I was just telling my husband today that we need something to corral the mess by our back door....now why can't I see the potential in things like that? It looks amazing!
teri

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Wow...what an awesome transformation...luv that color! Hope you have a FUN weekend:)

Blessings,
Linda

Marianne said...

I love it when a project not only looks good but helps keep the clutter at bay! Nice job.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That looks great! I love the color, too! What a great storage piece.

Gail @ Black Copper DIY said...

As soon as I saw the before pic, I thought "that would make a fabulous entry bench/coat-hook-nook". I guess we think alike! Love the colour, too.

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

What to think outside the box - it turned out great! Thanks for sharing at the Power of Paint Party!

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Now that was clever. Never thought of using a gun cabinet and I also like your choice of color. Well done.

Meadowsweet Cottage said...

I'd join Thrift-Aholics Anonymous with you, but I'll be too busy checking our our local Goodwill on my way to the Salvation Army and the SPCA Thrift and...well, you get the idea.

That was an inspired transformation btw!

Teri said...

***swoon*** LOVE this. What a good eye you have! I'd never have seen such potential in that gun cabinet. I'm going to have to really try to keep my eyes open more. Thanks so much for the inspiration! :)

Funky Junk Interiors said...

This piece is perfect for the new use! Amazing find and refurb! I love how the tall shape really brings your eye up.

Thanks for linking up to SNS!
FJ Donna

WhisperWood Cottage said...

This is such an impressive makeover! You saw potential in something most people would have passed by. I am inspired!

Amy

Old Time Cindy said...

Great idea, fantabulous color, and creative way to control clutter. Perfect!!!
Cindy at Lakewood

Jane B. said...

This is Gorgeous, and so perfect for a hall tree! Thanks for being the first to link up to Frugalicious Friday!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

What a clever idea. It really is the perfect shape for a coat rack. You had such a great eye to see the potential.

Teri said...

I was so inspired by this post that when I found a gun cabinet (on the cheap, because the doors were missing) at Value Village this weekend, I snapped it right up! I can't wait to make it over like you did. Just wanted to let you know that I'm linking to this post in my blog post today. It's too cold out to really get started on the piece, but I wanted to post photos of the cabinet that I found. I hope you don't mind! :) Thank you so much for the inspiration! :)

Megan Gunyan said...

Great job! I love the color and the burlap pillow.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Ericka!

this is so cute. I love the color you chose; and the idea for a mudroom type bench.
Great work!

ath13 said...

Hi Ericka! I love this project and linked to it in my blog post today. I scour Craigslist and pick the pieces I'd buy each week, and a gun cabinet was one of them. I immediately thought it looked like a hall bench and then found your awesome project on Pinterest. Very nice work!! Here's the link to my post (with a link to yours in it.)
http://becausehomeshouldbegreat.blogspot.com/2013/09/what-id-buy-on-craigslist-this-week-and.html

Anne