Making the most of what one has often requires optimistic eyes. Welcome to Rose Colored Glasses, a blog all about realizing the beauty, and often hidden potential in creating home design on a budget.


Saturday, October 24, 2009

Craft fair inspiration

Just a few tools needed: shadow box (or you could make this part, I just happened to have an old one on hand), tape measurer, wood for the back of the box and front piece (I used a scrap bead board paneling piece that the previous home owner left in the shed), some kind of saw to cut with (I just have a scroll saw but a jig saw would also work great) staple gun, paint, flowers, dried or dry silk ( I saw several boxes with dried wheat in them today and it looked really great as well).
This is a shot taken waiting for the paint to dry.

Here is the ALMOST finished project...I just need to place a silver plaque over the front wooden piece with a word of choice cut out. I'm leaning towards "Cherish" right now...does anyone know where I can order on of these?
I (like many of you reading this) went to the local craft fair today. It was fun to look at all the great things and different ideas people had come up with. The only problem was (in my opinion) everything was SO EXPENSIVE! Cute or not, it was hard for me to buy anything knowing that I could make most of the items myself. So...I went home and rummaged through my basement storage and came up with this project. Thank you craft fair for lending me your inspiration today...boxes similar to this one were going for $50.00 and up! My total cost: time!

3 comments:

Adele said...

Wow!! I love the craft fair, but I feel the same way... Its so expensive.. I do end up buying something normally just because I am not nearly as crafty or brave as you are to try it myself! That is so cute!

Ashley Wray said...

Ericka, that looks just like the ones at the craft fair today, way to go! I don't know anyone who does the metal cut outs, I'll keep my ear open. And your pottery barn filing cabinet turned out adorable as well

Jaimee said...

Cute stuff! I've got a few things that I'm going to be refinishing here pretty quick... thanks for the inspiration!