Making the most of what one has often requires optimistic eyes. Welcome to Rose Colored Glasses, a blog all about realizing the beauty, and often hidden potential in creating home design on a budget.


Sunday, November 22, 2009

A few of my favorite things...and on a budget too!

Here's the finished tree in all its glory (hehe)! Interesting tree topper, I know, but I totally LOVE it on my tree! Since I am fairly new to the whole decor bloggin world I have just been discovering some other great blogs to check out. While doing so I found some "tree party's" where you can upload photos of your decorated Christmas tree for others to see and in turn check out others...what a great idea, huh? Well, you guessed it...I uploaded this baby on http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/ and on http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com So what are you waiting for...go get yours uploaded and check out all the great ideas and inspiration out there :)!
As I mentioned before, I was desperate this year to change up our tree decor but with a very limited budget had to be very creative in doing so. I chose to use a black and white scheme and used picture frames as ornaments to hang on the tree. I started hunting the thrift stores in late October for the frames and luckily for me there were plenty to choose from ranging in price from 10 cents to one dollar. I used black and white spray paint as well as acryllic paint to coordinate them all. I just love how they all turned out and that EVERYTHING on my tree is refurbished in one way or another! Oh, and I almost forgot...the tree also came from a thrift store this year ($25.00, lights included)!









I picked up this old wooden frame for a $1.00 and spray painted it black. It is a gorgeous frame and I have a feeling I will be using it year round. Also, above the frame is a little glass ornament. I picked up a bag of these at Michaels a couple of years ago for around $5.00 and have been using them on the tree and elsewhere ever since. They came in various sizes and shapes which I also love. Oh...I almost forgot the rag garland...don't you just love it on the tree? I must admit that was a bit tedious to make but I am so glad I did!

Here is one of my favorite new creations...I tore strips of cotton fabric (an old sheet will do) and fastened them over the outside of some old ornaments then glued down a tack on top with some string for hanging. I love the "old" feel these give as well as how they tie in with the rag garland wrapped around the tree. I also ended up using some torn sheet strips as garland around the tree.

I hope this gives you all a little inspiration in decorating your tree this year...it's nice to know that you can still have something pretty in your home and not have to spend much! Happy decorating!

6 comments:

Kathy Wall said...

love the tree & unique and fun ornaments. Can't wait to see it!

Ashley Wray said...

Ok, I'm feeling like a stalker, commenting to you on facebook, your other blog and now this one. But I just have to tell you, adorable! I LOVE IT! It just looks so classy, but how awesome that everything is from 2nd hand stores, way to go!

Lu said...

Wish I could make one in my house but it's all colorful animated randomness when it comes to our christmas tree decor. Someday. . . . . . .:]

Naomi said...

Very chic! You are so amazing. I sure appreciate that you are willing to share your talents via this great blog.
Love from Texas.

Jenn said...

It all came together so beautifully!!! I really need to revamp my tree, but that will have to wait until next year since we decorated it tonight and it is the same as it has been for the past 7 years-- wow that's kinda embarrassing :0)!! I love all your ideas though and may have to steal a few!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Love the black and white! What a fresh new twist! Very pretty. :)

Thanks for linking up to the tree party!

Funky Junk Donna