Making the most of what one has often requires optimistic eyes. Welcome to Rose Colored Glasses, a blog all about realizing the beauty, and often hidden potential in creating home design on a budget.


Thursday, September 30, 2010

Now hand painting YOUR furniture!


Do you have an old piece of furniture stashed away that you don't know what to do with? Maybe you were given it by a neighbor, or found it cheap at a yard sale and just never have gotten around to fixing it up. Maybe you aren't really a DIYer? As most of you already know I have been transforming my own furniture finds for some time now but just recently have begun taking on others' old projects and customizing them with my handpainting to suit their space. For instance, the shelves you see below belong to a friend of mine. The drawers belong to a chest that has been sitting in her garage for a very long time. When I was recently consulting with her concerning her living space she wanted to purchase a piece to go in the corner of the room. I saw this piece in her garage and talked her into using it instead of buying something new and more expensive. Because she has some experience painting she is going to paint the body of the piece black herself (saving herself additional costs) while I do some magic on the drawer faces with some handpainting...notice the photo below. This is what I am working on right now for it and I am loving it. I picked the colors that will best coordinate with her room (right out of the travertine fireplace surround) and chose a design that I feel also suits her style and overall vibe in the space. I can't wait to see this one finished in her space!

I am also excited about the potential business opportunities this type of specialized skill could possibly create for me...so, if you have an old piece that you would like custom painted let me know. I am charging for the freehand time only ($15-$20 per hour) depending on the complicity of the work I am doing. Email me if you have any additional questions at lemonsqueezing@gmail.com. I can estimate the cost for you before you commit if you send me a photo of your furniture piece along with some kind of idea of the design you would like on it. The sky is the limit here. Thanks guys!

P.S. I have been getting some questions regarding the cabinet/chest I recently posted about here with regard to price and I have decided to sell it for $75.00.

1 comment:

Leanne said...

You are so cool. I love that idea for a business! Also, I'm jealous!