I was pleasantly surprised to find this shelf/table at a local estate sale last week and even more excited about the price. I knew this would need some work beyond sanding and painting: it needed a back, the legs were shot, and something about the middle shelf looked out of place. Still, it had great lines, great potential.
First I cut off the legs. I did this for two reasons: The first was because they were beyond repair for my skills and second to make the piece slightly shorter to better accomodate its possible future use behind a sofa. Then I cut a piece of wood (trim) to cover the middle shelf edge for a more finished look.
Then the fun began, and by that I mean the decisions on paint color and the application. I ended up using aqua and tan paint with a small touch of light green as an accent color. Then I glazed the whole piece in a brown color. I love how the glaze transformed this piece by drawing out the character in the architecture and giving it the added antiqued look.
Of course I added some handpainting...how could I resist :)? I am asking for $50 for this piece. Email me at lemonsqueezing@gmail.com if you are interested. Thanks!
First I cut off the legs. I did this for two reasons: The first was because they were beyond repair for my skills and second to make the piece slightly shorter to better accomodate its possible future use behind a sofa. Then I cut a piece of wood (trim) to cover the middle shelf edge for a more finished look.
Then the fun began, and by that I mean the decisions on paint color and the application. I ended up using aqua and tan paint with a small touch of light green as an accent color. Then I glazed the whole piece in a brown color. I love how the glaze transformed this piece by drawing out the character in the architecture and giving it the added antiqued look.
Of course I added some handpainting...how could I resist :)? I am asking for $50 for this piece. Email me at lemonsqueezing@gmail.com if you are interested. Thanks!
6 comments:
great job! I love glazing.
gail
ps good luck, hope you sell it really quick!
Wow! You did a great job - love the colors you selected... antique, retro and mod all rolled into one : )
I love how you just got this on Friday and it's totally (and beautifully) complete! Love the color combo and detail. Wish I had just an ounce of your creativity!
that turned out so cute! amazing!
i think that could be cute anywhere! looks so good!
so stinkin cute! love the handpainting!
Post a Comment