Last week was beautiful...I mean the weather was, and that is something to treasure in and of itself in Idaho but it was great to get outside and go on walks with the boys and let them spend some quality time outdoors. I think we ALL needed some fresh air after being trapped inside for weeks due to the cold weather. One afternoon while "hanging outside" with the boys I opened up the shed/shop/barn. Yes we refer to it as any or all of those titles at our house. We bought our home a little over a year ago...from the original homeowner I might add. The house is old...but not
that old. And in the end it was a compromising choice between my husband and myself. I wanted the 100 year old house in the city and he wanted something new on several acres in the middle of nowhere. Like I said it was a compromise that we were both willing to make and one we have both been satisfied with ever since. Back to my story...the previous homeowners were neat freaks in my opinion...even the realtor we worked with said they were a little "difficult" to work with when it came to showing the house because they were so disturbed by any traffic dirt that was let into the home by potential buyers. Well, the shop/shed/barn in the back was no exception. It was immaculate, complete with custom shelving throughout, electricity, and even a cute little window. He also left a few pieces of trim and boards in a neat little pile in the corner. I just love that man. Well, there is sort of an attic so to speak that I had never checked out assuming it was bare and clean like everything else we found when we moved in. For some reason I climbed the ladder to take a peak and to my surprise there was a little wooden box shoved in the corner. It looked very old but in the dark it was hard to see much of it so I tried moving it but it wouldn't budge. Upon opening it I found my own little "treasure" (as my four year old put it). Antique tools...and loads of them...mostly woodworking craftsmanlike stuff. Needless to say most have dates or enough information on them to figure out when they were made and sold. The ones I have researched so far date anywhere from the very late 1800's to the early 1900's. Very cool, huh!

Here's a few I set aside...love the wooden screwdriver and the cloth tape measurer!

Here's the box I found it all in...turns out it is the outside box of a 1939 radio. Anyway, I still need to go through the rest of the tools and I am hoping my dad can help shed some light on some of them because I have no clue! This may seem like something trivial to most but I have always LOVED all things old...maybe that's why my dream home is a hundred or more year old home :) Anyway, just thought I would share some of my excitement!
3 comments:
I love these! What an awesome radio cabinet too! You did GOOD!
What a find! Can't wait to see what you do with the radio, it is so antique-ish and fun. I am going to send Andrew up to our never-before-seen attic to see if we have any treasures laying around!
PS- Got your 2 messages yesterday, you are hilarious, I had a good laugh!
That is COOL!
Post a Comment