Making the most of what one has often requires optimistic eyes. Welcome to Rose Colored Glasses, a blog all about realizing the beauty, and often hidden potential in creating home design on a budget.


Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I've always wanted a kitchen island...

Today I decided that my Pier 1 Imports project desk should now be our kitchen island!? Okay...don't look too closely there is some major decorating that still needs to take place here and I am thinking that with the new window treatments and a fun scrapbook print attached to the back of the shelves this place will look fabulous with some color in it!

THE STORY BEHIND MY MADNESS THIS TIME:

So, the boys have been sick this week and as a result my house cleaning has really taken a backseat. Anyway, tonight I decided enough was enough as I looked over my messy (filthy would be a more accurate term) kitchen. Overwhelmed with where to start and unmotivated to get after it, I started thinking about mixing things up a bit. This is exactly what I used to do in high school when my mom would order me to clean my bedroom when I had let the mess get out of hand. In the end my room was sparkling alright with all the furniture rearranged as well. I guess the excitement of a "new look" takes over the burden of cleaning.

As you all know I have just refurbished dining chairs. I am not sure if I want to keep our existing dining table and paint it to match or start over (truthfully, I'd like a smaller table). In the mean time, we have been eating at my project desk I purchased from a Pier 1 Imports that was going under a couple years ago (at half cost) for the last couple of weeks. I love the desk but really have had little use for it...until now. What do you think? Too cramped? I prefer the term "cozy" :). Seriously though, I know it greatly reduces the traffic area but by utilizing the extra counter top work surface I feel like it really works better for me...I mean you're not going to fit a wheelchair in there but all of the appliances and drawers can be used and opened at full capacity so I'm okay with it. I also like how it visually separates the kitchen from the eating space more since we don't have a separate dining room. I think I have a little more convincing to do on my husbands part but since I do the majority of the cooking around here I am hoping to win out on this one at least for a little while. I've also found it's much easier to "sell" a new space plan on him when the room is cleaner than it was before :) Thoughts?

7 comments:

Adele said...

That is pretty cozy... but I love having an island! If it works for you and you like it, then I say its a keeper!

Kathy Wall said...

Looks Great! I've always wanted an island too. I also love the chairs. You're amazing

Lu said...

I think if it works and you don't mind losing a little space why not! I know from experience how nice it is to go from no island to having one. although mine is usually the dumping spot for keys, change etc.

Naomi said...

Functional and stylish. I say it's a keeper! Question: how do you deter little hands from rearranging those lovely glasswares???

Ericka said...

Good question Naomi! I actually took them off after taking the picture for that very reason. It will be a good challenge for me to decorate these shelves, that's for sure. Too bad I don't have more cook books :)

Ashley Wray said...

Cute! I agree with what everyone else says, if you like it, then keep it. The more counter space the better, and I love that light blue bowl you have on the island too, looks great on the black!

nest of posies said...

first of all, i am speecless as to your dining room chairs. they look so professional! seriously. the black paint & the various fabric choices. outstanding.
now, that project table i would l-o-v-e to have for projects. but i think it looks great for an island as well. smart girl! thinking outside the lines!

again, can i say i love those chairs??!!
have a great week.